You may encounter a plethora of software, hardware and infrastructure to choose from when you’re implementing technology
to support the operations of your practice. Sometimes there isn’t much plain language guidance to help you select,
acquire and integrate tools and technologies either – a situation that can prevent rapid take-up of these new capabilities
designed to enhance practice and client experience.
A practice of the future, now
Enter The Connected Practice (TCP), whose goal is to deliver a technology architecture coupled with ASI Kairos ANZ tools and templates. It aims to provide functionality for members in one place, potentially saving them time and energy in making technology decisions. Access a range of services in the cloud, and use templates, tools and solutions developed in collaboration with our partners.
The Connected Practice Components
The TCP implementation is achieved through twelve integrated components (mouse over each for more information):
The facilitation of advisory services offers a new set of unique requirements for accounting practices.
Depending on the maturity of the advisory service and requirements, the following tools are useful:
- Office 365 Planner – simple project and task management tools
- SharePoint Online – simple Gantt charts and project planning
- Project Online – Comprehensive project management platform
The management of companies, trusts and members thereof.
The following tools and technologies are supported to deliver the corporate secretarial function:
- Australia Only
- ASIC Portal
- BGL CAS * Additional Charge
- MYOB AE * Additional Charge
- New Zealand Only
- Companies Office Website
Super Fund Management
Super Fund Management
The Management of retirement funds.
Integration and provision of common SMSF products are supported with only light integration at version
1.0. The following products are supported:
- Class Super * Additional Charge to Class Super
- BGL SFund 360 * Additional Charge to BGL
- BGL SFund (On-Premises and Hosted) * Additional Charge to BGL
Accounting Firms commonly have the following interactions with national statutory taxation departments:
- Lodgement of Returns
- Lodgement of Statutory Accounts
Interaction with national taxation departments is not only different for each country but also ranges
from technically trivial to a purely manual process. The connected practice architecture is designed
to deliver cloud-based solutions to the full range of interactions with statutory bodies. The ASI Kairos platform supports the following solutions for Tax Lodgement:
- Xero Practice Manager
- Reckon Elite
- MYOB AO
- MYOB AE
- Handisoft Practice Manager
Ledger / Accounting
The core line of business application enabling a firm to manage their clients accounting data.
TCP supports a wide variety of accounting formats including a variety of standard desktop and cloud accounting
- Reckon Elite * Additional Charge
- Reckon Accounts
- MYOB Premier
- MYOB AccountRight
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Intuit QuickBooks Online
The ability to manage practice clients, leads, jobs and billing.
- Data Model - Connected Practice delivers a consistent data model across individual
members’ chosen practice management tools, lighting up the opportunities for data analytics,
machine learning and PowerBI.
- Legacy Hosting – Using tools and processes in the connected practice, legacy practice
management tools can be provided to members in the cloud through Windows Azure, allowing practices
to remove their servers if they wish.
Supported Practice Management Tools at Version 1.0:
- Reckon APS (On-Premises and Hosted) * Additional Charge
- HandiSoft Practice Manager (On-Premises and Hosted) * Additional Charge – Only Handisoft SQL Supported
- MYOB AE (On-Premises) * Additional Charge
- MYOB AO (On-Premises) * Additional Charge – Note This is now called MYOB AE Classic
- Reckon Elite (On-Premises and Hosted) * Additional Charge – Only SQL Server version supported
- Xero Practice Manager (SaaS) * No Additional Charge for Xero Partners
- Practice Ignition (SaaS) * No Additional Charge. Practice Ignition requires another practice management tool
- Excel – (On-Premises and SaaS)
The ability to create, store and retrieve documents.
- SharePoint Online – SharePoint online document libraries (an analogy to a traditional
accounting practice file room) can be extended to maximize information value in the practice
management suite including clients, contacts, jobs and more.
- Template Manager – enhances SharePoint Document Libraries by offering a range of
auto-populating templates (from Practice in a Box), allowing Members to create standard accounting
practice documents, file them securely and send them directly to clients. Template manager can
be customised to further enhance the benefits of Practice in a Box.
- Scanned Document Management – refines the filing experience by taking scanned OCR
(searchable PDF) documents, analysing their precise client data and automatically naming and
filing the document. SharePoint Online notifies the relevant partner and manager when a new document
is generated. Scanned Document Manager operates on Windows PCs, Servers or via the cloud.
- Migrator – anticipates potential problems presented by migrating documents from
existing document management platforms to the cloud. The Connected Practice Migrator streamlines
the process of migrating files and folders to the new document management platform.
Real Time Communication
Real Time Communication
As part of Office 365 E5 , Skype for Business offers real time communication between the member, their
staff, ASI Kairos ANZ and customers.
- presence which shows when people are signed in, busy, away or on a call.
- voice, video and screen sharing
- recording of sessions
- instant messaging
Cloud PABX services will become available in the near future replacing traditional voice services.
End User Computing
Includes the management of end user computing devices including Macs, PCs, Phones and more.
Leveraging the Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite enables:
- Single Identity - Azure Active Directory provides secure access with single sign-on
to practice applications, CA ANZ data tools and thousands of third party applications including
Xero and Dropbox.
- Central Management - Centralised management of iOS, Android and Windows ensuring
consistent and secure policy, configuration and the ability to remotely manage devices.
- Apps - Access to 'legacy' applications that are not yet available as a cloud service
are available through simple RemoteApp access on any device
- Security - Enterprise grade rights management for protection of data ingress and
egress and advanced cloud-aligned threat analytics to ensure security across the platform.
Website / Marketing
Website / Marketing
Includes a responsive, highly available website integrated with practice systems to ensure effective
data flow in the practice.
Provisioning of a cloud-based, member-ready website including lead generation, SEO and a secure client
portal making use of SharePoint Online.
Includes at the least email, shared calendar, shared contacts and shared tasks.
- Microsoft Exchange Online environment securely configured for accounting firm requirements
- Office 365 Planner provides task and project management capability across the practice
- Office Graph API provides rich data modelling enabling the realisation of predictive
- Connected Practice Mail Manager enables smart email and attachment management based
on client or contact metadata
Includes Internet, Voice and Fax services and enables a basic level of communication between your practice
and the outside world.
Guidance is available to optimise the network requirements for your business.
The savings calculator allows you to estimate the type of internet connection required to provide users
a quality experience.
The ASI Kairos Connected Practice is based on Microsoft Office 365. Depending on the device you are using, you may have a different experience.
We recommend checking compatibility/support available on the different systems.
- Operating System - Windows 10 Professional
- Office - Office 2016
Download system considerations
Connected Practice Disclaimer:
The Connected Practice Architecture is a formal reference architecture. A reference architecture is a document or set of documents to which a project manager or other interested party can refer for best practices. In information technology, a reference architecture can be used to select the best delivery method for particular technologies within an IT service catalog.
This reference architecture is used to show the sum total of overall solutions a practice needs to have in place to deliver a full end to end IT environment. It does not recommend specific products or vendors, nor does it detail what a specific solution delivers.